Eight teams were accepted into the UNY I-Corps SBIR Phase 0 program and they are currently building entrepreneurial skills and exploring their product markets in the I-Corps Teams program.
After they test their market fit and refine their business models, they will receive follow-on workshops and support to launch a new business and seek initial capital from the SBIR program and investors.
The desired outcome is to increase SBIR Phase 1 success rates and to increase the number, pace, and success rate of “deep technology” startups formed in Upstate New York and the Northeast.
Meet the Teams:
Harminogenic (Rochester, NY)
- Innovation: Photonics assay predicting the previously unknown risk of cancer recurrence through metastasis.
- Entrepreneurial Lead: Robert Hill
- Technical Lead: Seth Perry
- Mentor: Mike Hortiatis
TRANSFR Inc (New York, NY)
- Innovation: Data mining protocol using data from a virtual reality (VR) learning experiences to measure the efficacy of learning in VR.
- Entrepreneurial Lead: Bharani Rajakumar
- Technical Lead: Sujith Gowda
- Mentor: Pranav Bhakta, Julius Tobin
3AM Innovations (Buffalo, NY)
- Innovation: Indoor Positioning System (IPS) that will track firefighters in real-time. https://www.3aminnovations.com/
- Entrepreneurial Lead: Patrick O’Connor, Sarah Taylor
- Technical Lead: Ryan Litt
- Mentor: Steve Nicosia
Bitome (Cambridge, MA)
- Innovation: A portable 1H NMR spectrometer for in vivo biometric monitoring.
- Entrepreneurial Lead: Herb Ryan
- Technical Lead: Jens Hoefflin
- Mentor: Aylit Schultz
Heat Inverse (Ithaca, NY)
- Innovation: A photonic thin-film cooling concept to develop microfabricated materials that get cold with zero-energy input.
- Entrepreneurial Lead: Romy Fain
- Technical Lead: Heather Ahmad
- Mentor: Michelle Kortenaar
Comake (New York, NY)
- Innovation: Builds and tracks the relationships between components of work within communication, project management, and storage systems / services both retroactively and in real-time to provide context around each file, message, and task.
- Entrepreneurial Lead: Andres Gutierrez
- Technical Lead: Adler Faulkner
- Mentor: Andrew Wilson
Insightfil (Cambridge, MA)
- Innovation: Personalized medication delivery system coupled with a cloud-connected mobile app that the patient uses to support taking their right medications at the right times.
- Entrepreneurial Lead: Ted Acworth
- Technical Lead: Mike Trachtman
- Mentor: Ted Werth